7.08.2012

Babies on the Brain


It seems the universe is trying to get me to think about some things lately. This trip has been so filled with introspective inspirations, that I find myself mulling over topics that I never expected to be considering...such as babies.






This little nugget totally stole my heart.  I went to Chicago to visit one of my best "sisters", Mollie, who became a mother a few months ago.  It's such an amazing thing to have known someone since the teenage years, through life changes big and small, and to remain as close as ever...Then to witness the many stages of life that seem to pop up faster than we ever could have imagined, namely marriage, babies, cross country moves and the general "grown-upness" that just seems to appear one day when you look in the mirror.  I am in the midst of a time in my life where all my oldest friends are coming into their own and shining like diamonds through the biggest changes that life can throw their way...My  three closest girlfriends have all married and/or had babies in the past few years.  To witness these changes in them, to share a few special moments in their company, has truly been a gift...An emotional gift, and a true eye opener to say the least.  The grace and beauty these special ladies embody as they move on to the next phase of their lives, has been a powerful thing to witness...and has made me open my mind to the possibilities of what my future may hold.  I'm not making any decisions or grand statements of what I want, I just have realized that maybe now is the time to start thinking seriously about what I see for the future of my life with my amazing partner in crime, Jo.  Mostly the idea of having kids scares me to death, and my over-active mind is going a mile a minute with the minute details of how we could make such a thing happen, and whether or not it is even something I want.  The bottom line and lesson of this trip seems to be that at least I am opening my mind to think about our future in a way I never thought I would.  I'm not even sure why I'm sharing this here, or where this is all coming from all of a sudden...All I know is that if feels great to be musing about the topic, and to get it all out of my head and onto the "page".

A few more highlights of Chicago, in pictures...

Towels at Missoni Home...drooling.

It's a lake!  It looks like the ocean...Crazy

My first Kir Royale!  Where have you been all my life?


People in Chicago really know how to do a planter box right!
I suppose it's because winter can be so nasty, that when it's springtime, you want
to get all the pretty you can!


We went to the Chicago Institute of Art, a seriously amazing museum, and I snapped a few shots of my favorite pieces to keep for inspiration...


There was a huge wall of windows by Chagall.  I don't know what came
over me, but it made me weep...Something inside me was
immediately connected to them and I felt it in the
pit of my stomach, I love that feeling!

Random breezeway with THE most gorgeous shade of blue.

My favorite Lichtenstein

Noguchi...Love
My last day in Chicago, we went to an awesome antique mall a few blocks away from Mollies apartment.  There were so many treasures to be found, things that don't exist in Hawaii, and that broke my furniture and decor loving heart.  The reality is that anything I liked was too big and heavy to ship home, so it was a combo of disappointment in not being able to get the things I wanted, and the fun of just getting to browse and appreciate everything, without the "pressure" of spending money or having to battle over what I wanted...A feast for the eyes, and easy on the bank account!  I didn't take many pictures, but did manage to capture my two favorites...

RAD fabric art

AMAZING copper enameled breastplate/necklace...kicking myself for not
just getting the damn thing.
Yesterday I spent the day with a lovely lady that I have known since we were two years old!  She also has a baby...Later in the afternoon we had a reunion with a long lost friend friend who just happens to have moved in down the street from her.  Along with the theme of bonding with my "sisters" and their children, she also brought her two year old son with her...
Is somebody trying to tell me something?  Maybe, maybe not, but either way, parts of my brain have been activated, and now there are topics swirling around in there that I never expected.






1 comment:

  1. I have babies on the brain too :)
    It is super exciting and terrifying all at once. I figure I shouldn't worry too much about it cause if I over-think it chances are that I will never work up the courage to start a family. Maybe you just need to take a leap of faith and just go for it. My big brother says that once his daughter was born everything just fell in place and made sense.

    ReplyDelete