10.20.2011

A surf adventure story an a few firsts

Yesterday I set out with Jo and a friend of ours for a lovely morning surf session, as I mentioned before I'm trying to get back on the surf train, push myself to do things that are not always easy, and to try and snag a bit of that "stoke" that my lady always gets from being out there in the waves. All was well and I caught a few waves, the sun was shining, I had a huge smile on my face and then it happened...collision! Its all a blur now, but the consensus is that someone came from behind me as I was catching the wave and barreled right over me. I felt a pain in my leg, I saw a bit of blood and knew I had to get my butt onto the shore...I really had no intention of being shark bait. With help from Jo I got back on my board and made it back to shore. Long story short, I had a few major firsts...first oxygen mask, first IV, first ambulance ride, first trip to the ER and first stitches, 27 of them to be exact!!!

After six hours in the ER we made it back home...Loopy, exhausted and thankful to still HAVE my leg. Aside from the pain from the HUGE gash in my upper hamstring I have the craziest pins and needles feeling all over my leg as well as a few spots that have remained totally numb due to nerve damage. I dont know how it can be that an area can be totally numb to the touch but can itch like, well... A bitch!!! The pain is better already, thanks to some of the pills they gave me, and all in all I'd have to say I'm feeling pretty good! I can't put any weigh on my leg and will be at home for at least a week :(

Jo is my nursing angel and has kept me laughing through some of the more difficult moments, for instance changing the dressing and assisting with everything from bathroom stuff to simply changing positions. I feel so grateful to have her with me, I just hope she's ok to! I never saw the wound, the blood trailing behind me in the water. We were joking around this morning that she has PTSD, but the more I think about our day yesterday, I realize the amount of stress she has been through too.

The ER was buzzing with powerful, amazing, women energy...Every single person from the admissions, attending doc, nurses, social worker were women. They were calm, beautiful souls working their butts off! I felt so safe and taken care of...Woman power in the ER was in full effect!!!!

Ok, I feel like I'm rambling now, maybe that pill is starting to work :)
I had been on a very productive streak in the studio lately and have been really excited as I finished up a fee pieces for what is/was to be my first local craft/art market. I can't even think of being at the bench right now let alone setting up for a craft show. I hope to be able to participate in the show next week, but for now I just need to rest and try not to stress out about the bill from the hospital!

So now you know why I may be absent from here a bit in the near future...Our computer is on the fritz and all I've got to work with is this iPhone, I kind of go crazy after a while with it. I've read every book in the house and some of them more than once... This may require me
to request a magazine and book care package from mom:)

Alright, time for a banana, a pill and a nap! Check ya later !!!

1 comment:

  1. YOWZERS! What a day can bring! I hope you and your computer are better soon.

    xo, Ro

    ReplyDelete